Google has finally revealed more specific details of its new Android One program, an initiative announced earlier this year that aims to bring standardization and a better user experience to affordable Android smartphones.
Economic Times reports that Android One has launched with three local handset-makers as its initial partners: Micromax, Karbonn and Spice Mobile. The US company held an event in Mumbai today at which it revealed that the first devices will be priced upwards of 6,399 INR, that’s approximately $105.
While affordable, that price does make them more expensive than a range of truly budget Android phones, but it seems that Google is banking that a bevvy of features and a ‘premium’ approach will make them more desirable. That said, Google also said that other devices will launch at price points that are both above and below that initial price range.
Google is targeting India because smartphone penetration remains low — feature phone still account for 70 percent of all shipments — while most of the one billion-plus population uses pre-pay contracts and has a modest disposable income. Unlike China, where internet access from smartphones has just overtaken that of the PC, India has vast potential for growth.
Android One isn’t an India-only initiative, however. Economic Times interviewed Google’s Sundar Pichai before today’s launch event, and the Android chief said that the program will expand to Indonesia, Philippines and other parts of South Asia before the end of this year. It is scheduled to roll out to even more markets in 2015.
So what can customers expect from these devices?
Google is imposing more rigid controls on apps and software to help improve the general experience, and prevent fragmentation which can lead to phones falling behind on updates. Android One devices will be among the first to get the new ‘L’ Android update for, for example.
From Google’s blog post:
Android One aims to help tackle these challenges. By working closely with phone and silicon chip makers to share reference designs and select components, we’re making it easier for our partners to build phones that are not just great to use, but also affordable. They have lots of processing power, so you can get information quickly. They have high-quality front- and rear-facing cameras. And for all those pictures, along with your apps and videos, Android One phones will have expandable storage. We also added features that people in India will find particularly useful, like dual SIM cards, a replaceable battery and built-in FM radio.
In India, the phones will come with support for seven languages — including English and Hindi — with multi-lingual support for many apps. The devices will also include voice-based controls, dual-SIM support, an FM radio and other “features that people in India will find particularly useful”.
Operators will bundle data services with the devices, to help consumers get online to make the most of the phones, Economic Times also reports. The first Android One devices will go on sale in India today via the country’s three top retailers: Amazon, Snapdeal and Flipkart.
Headline image via intellectdigest.in (with permission)
UK mobile retailer Phones 4u has today been forced to close its online and physical retail stores as it scrambles to secure its immediate future, following the collapse of two commercial partnerships.
A notice on the retailer’s website confirms the cause of the slide into administration – it just lost its last two network and handset providers – EE and Vodafone. EE withdrew support on Friday, whereas Vodafone withdrew earlier in September. Mobile network Three ended its contract back in 2012, and O2 withdrew at the start of this year, leaving no other major UK operators on the table.
With a UK network of more than 550 retail stores and more than 5,500 staff, those stores have now had to close “pending a decision by the administrators on whether the business can be reopened for trading”, according to a statement given to the Financial Times. Customers can call the numbers listed above with inquiries.
With the rise of operator-owned stores, there’s now little incentive for networks to continue to work with a retail network like Phones 4u, where they don’t get to control the entire sales experience.
➤ Phones 4U Goes Into Administration [Financial Times]
You can now buy devices directly from Motorola’s new UK portal
Motorola’s latest flagship, the Moto X, will be available for pre-order in the US this Tuesday
Uber hired Obama’s former adviser and campaign manager to direct the company’s global policy and political activities, communications and branding efforts. The company has reportedly been looking to hire a top political strategist since earlier this summer as it aggressively challenges local regulations and the taxi industry in multiple cities.
“Over the years, what I’ve come to realize is that this controversy exists because we are in the middle of a political campaign and it turns out the candidate is Uber,” wrote founder Travis Kalanick in a blog. “Our opponent – the Big Taxi cartel – has used decades of political contributions and influence to restrict competition, reduce choice for consumers, and put a stranglehold on economic opportunity for its drivers.”
Earlier this month, Politico ran a story about repeated speculation that the former White House adviser would return as Obama’s chief of staff, billing Plouffe “the most popular guy in Washington.” He is the most high profile-political insider the company has picked up in its recent push to make more regulatory hires. In May the company hired one of the top officials from the New York Taxi and Limousine Commission.
“We’re on an inexorable path of progress here,” Plouffe said in an interview with the New York Times. “Uber is making transportation safer. It’s providing jobs; it’s cutting down on drunk and distracted driving. I think the mission is really important.”
Plouffe was not the only top political strategist considered for the new position. In July, Re/code’s Kara Swisher reported Uber was in talks former White House press secretary Jay Carney and Howard Wolfson, who served as a strategist to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Hillary Clinton during the 2008 campaign.
Plouffe will start at Uber in September.
The New York Times has a doozy of a security report today detailing what’s believed to be the largest collection of Internet identity theft. Based on research from security firm Hold Security, a Russian gang has compromised 420,000 websites in order to collect roughly 540 million unique email addresses.
To make matters worse, most of the affected websites still remain vulnerable, according to the Hold Security founder Alex Holden. A Times source did say that “some big companies” have been informed that their data is among the trove.
The criminal group is suspected of using the information to post spam to social networks. The gang is believed to be composed of “fewer than a dozen men in their 20s who know one another personally.”
The scale of data breaches has escalated at an alarming rate. Late last year, Target went public with a data breach that affected 40 million credit card accounts.
Image credit: Simon Bratt / Shutterstock
Uber announces UberPool, a carpooling experiment with 40% lower prices than UberX
The US government suspects a new leaker has emerged after Snowden
Smartphone rivals Apple and Samsung have agreed to drop all existing litigation between them outside of the US market, reports the Financial Times.
The two companies, which occupy the top two slots based on global smartphone shipments, have been at war in the courtroom across numerous countries for the past few years. A joint statement from the two explains that all international disputes have been dropped, but the duo “are continuing to pursue the existing cases in US courts.” Importantly, no patent licensing deal has been agreed, the companies say.
Samsung was ordered to pay Apple more than $1 billion after losing a US patent lawsuit in 2012. Despite that result, there are ongoing appeals between the two in the US.
➤ Apple and Samsung settle some patent disputes [Financial Times]
Thumbnail image via Africa Studio / Shutterstock
Google Wallet is coming to Glass soon. According to a source close to the company, Google is currently testing a way for Glass users to send money to their friends through Wallet by simply using their voices to ask Glass to “send money.” The company is testing this service internally right now, but chances are it will launch to all Glass users in the near future.
To install the Wallet service on their devices, Glass users currently have to be signed in to a computer on Google’s corporate network. From there, they can install the Wallet glassware, and after setting the service up from there, they are ready to send money from Glass.
Given that Google has also rolled out a similar feature for Gmail users, it’s not a huge surprise that the company would also want to bring the ability to send money from Glass. The use cases, after all, are pretty much identical. Imagine you’re at a restaurant and you want to send your share of the bill to a friend. You simply ask Glass to “send money,” swipe through the interface a few times and you’re done (that’s assuming your friends let you wear your Glass while having dinner with you, of course).
By default, Google takes a 2.9 percent fee for these Wallet transactions or 30 cents — whichever is higher.
It’s been almost one year since Yahoo announced that it had acquired Tumblr for $1.1 billion, and David Karp, founder and head of Tumblr, says that its new owner has “lived up to everything they promised.”
Speaking in an interview with the New York Times, Karp said that Yahoo and its CEO Marissa Meyer have supported his business with additional resources — Tumblr’s roster has more than doubled to 220 staff — and have remained hands off. “We’re our own shop. We have our own leadership, and we’re doing things our own way,” Karp said.
Tumblr hosts a network of 180 million blogs, but still it is yet to find a way to monetize them successfully. The NYT article looks at how Tumblr is beginning to work with advertisers to set up blogs but, in the words of Karp, “the stakes are as high as they’ve ever been,” as Tumblr aims to generate significant revenue to justify its acquisition.
➤ No Regrets for the Founder of Tumblr After Yahoo Sale [New York Times]
Uber rolls into New Zealand as it officially launches in Auckland
Smartphones: The silent killer of the Web as you know it
Read the rest here: Tumblr founder David Karp says Yahoo has ‘lived up to everything it promised’
Russian mobile payments startups 2can similar in operation to Square and iZettle (accepts payments from Visa and MasterCard cards through a mobile card reader connected to a smartphone) has raised a $5 million Series B round of funding led by InVenture Partners with participation by Almaz Capital Partners and ESN Group.
The cash will be used to integrate with leading Russian banks and accelerate the product.
The company claims that its revenue increased 500 times in 2013, with the number of transactions made through 2can terminals increasing 200 times over the same period – though with now actual figures these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt.
Launched in September 2012, 2can allows merchants to use iOS and Android smartphones or tablets as secure terminals for accepting card payments.
Sergey Azatyan, co-founder and managing partner of InVenture Partners says the penetration of POS terminals accepting card payments in Russia is now 5 times lower compared to Europe and 7 times lower than in USA, so there is plenty of growth to be had per the next few years.
The Series B round brings 2can’s total funding to $7.3 million. InVenture Partners led the previous investment round.
See the article here: Russian Square Clone 2can Raises $5M To Scale Up
The National Security Administration hacked Chinese networking giant Huawei and apparently gained access to the company’s source code, according to documents seen by The New York Times and the German publication Spiegel Online.
These latest leaked documents indicate that the NSA began an operation called “Shotgiant” against Huawei, the world’s second largest supplier of networking equipment behind U.S.-based Cisco Systems.
The U.S. has long been concerned that Huawei’s products were being used as a Trojan Horse enabling the Chinese government to spy on the networking company’s customers. Now, it appears that the U.S. government simply cut out the middleman in its own efforts to monitor the goings on around Huawei.
Not only did the U.S. security agency manage to intercept emails, but it also gained access to the company’s source code of specific products, according to the Spiegel report. That’s the crown jewels of any tech company — laid bare by America’s technology espionage apparatus.
Luckily for concerned netizens and corporations a spokeswoman for the U.S. assured the Times that any spying was only done for national security purposes.
“We do not give intelligence we collect to U.S. companies to enhance their international competitiveness or increase their bottom line,” White House spokesperson Caitlin M. Hayden told the Times. “Many countries cannot say the same.”
Meanwhile, the unintended comedy of the situation was not lost on Huawei, whose spokesman issued the following statement to Spiegel:
“If it is true, the irony is that exactly what they are doing to us is what they have always charged that the Chinese are doing through us,” [said Bill Plummer, Huawei spokesman]. “If such espionage has been truly conducted, then it is known that the company is independent and has no unusual ties to any government and that knowledge should be relayed publicly to put an end to an era of mis- and disinformation.”
As reporters around the country scrambled to push out stories on early-morning earthquakes that awoke southern California, The LA Times had a machine write its piece. “This information comes from the USGS Earthquake Notification Service and this post was created by an algorithm written by the author,” explained the news story, posted 20 minutes after the USGS registered a 2.7 aftershock that hit Westwood.
“Algorithms can help you find and report the news,” LA Times reporter Ben Welsh told Journalism.co.uk about a similar earthquake piece last year. “You can write code that will ask and answer the common questions that a reporter would ask when looking at that same dataset.”
As artificial intelligence becomes more sophisticated, automation is increasingly coming after jobs that require higher-order thinking. Algorithmic journalism has been relatively limited to simple plug-in-play stories, such as sports scores, financial press releases, or natural events.
“That’s not to say that computer-generated stories will remain in the margins, limited to producing more and more Little League write-ups and formulaic earnings previews,” explained a blog post on the futurist, Ray Kurzweil’s, website. Google’s Eric Schmidt also warned a crowd at SXSW last week that robots will probably replace most jobs that aren’t related to “creativity and caring” — including reporters.
Perhaps most importantly, an algorithm doesn’t stop in the middle of a news story to hide under a desk: